Portrait of Dad as a Young Man - Stage I

After many failed attempts in the art room and by the end of the day having achieved very little I start to question 'why be an artist?'  Sometimes I have no idea what direction I want to take.

Having started the day with high hopes and a vision of what I'd like to see on the canvas. I experiment with a technique that I may have seen or read about.  Having no formal art training (unsure if this is a good or bad thing) I often become lost with the new approaches. I am sometimes so completely wrong that the results are less than promising. Testing and experimenting are all well and good but sometimes I wonder why I am bothering at all.  Frustrated, I feel like binning everything!

Then suddenly and somehow I will start doing something and step off into a 'zone' that is magical.  I see something new and exciting emerge on the canvas and am so absorbed in what I am doing that time has no meaning.
  
Then I know why I do this!

Final Version!

Comments